Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Blessings of Home Production and Canning

As I pulled up my potatoes and onions yesterday, this quote kept coming to my mind.
And I felt so strongly about it, I knew I had to share it.

“An almost forgotten means of economic self-reliance is the home production of food. We are too accustomed to going to stores and purchasing what we need. By producing some of our food we reduce, to a great extent, the impact of inflation on our money. More importantly, we learn how to produce our own food and involve all family members in a beneficial project.” Ezra Taft Benson said this in the 70's sometime (Our Community Garden, Ensign June 2009)
Having a garden is new to me. I grew up in a US Army household and we moved often. I started last year. So if I can do this with absolutely no previous experience, then you can do it to. It was a mess because our yard was not in yet and dirt, no, MUD was everywhere as we worked on our sprinkler system. This year has been wonderful by comparison as I've walked across the grass to get to my garden. I grew a whole list of things that were new to me this year. I've learned a lot and asked a lot of questions. I am really grateful for good neighbors who are able to answer those questions. Having had cancer and now having a lot of food allergies it is important to me what goes on my plants because they are going to store it. Of course some of the green beans went to waste because I ended up with pneumonia the end of July beginning of August. I started a compost pile - so I really didn't waste much. I know more about what is going into my body. We eat more veggies because when they are ready, we better be too.

I've gained so much by having my own garden this year. I've had wonderful experiences talking with my children out there and teaching them how to work. I've had great therapy tearing out weeds the week I went in for my first 6 month post cancer treatment check-up.

Anyway, back to the quote. If you think about this - he is so right. Just think about how much an onion costs in the middle of the winter. 1 onion is about $1. And they are about the easiest thing to grow and store. I planted 40 yellow onions and 20 red onions. I'll be planting more next year. Salsa needs a lot of onions. And look at how inexpensive tomatoes are during peak season. Tired of canning tomatoes? Just core them and through them in a freezer bag. puree them later for sauces.



Oh and I learned to can. I canned 2 boxes of peaches and I also canned salsa.

Now I just need to get my garlic planted!

In fact, I better go check the vegetable beef soup that is in the crock pot right now.

"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear"

I definitely feel more at peace since the time I decided to follow the prophets counsel to have a garden. This is one of those things we can do whether its one 4x4 grow box or 1/2 an acre. Having a garden has blessed my family.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I can't wait. I am hoping to tackle this next year. I will need to pick your brain since I do not have a green thumb.

Kritta22 said...

Oh I can't wait! We are a AF military family. I'm counting down the days until we are parking it for awhile to grow a garden! thanks for the inspiration!

SmallAdventures said...

I found your blog a month or so ago and LOVE IT!! I just wondered if you were going to continue blogging? Or are you just on a break?

Thanks for all the great FHE ideas! I love them!