Saturday, October 4, 2008

Traditions... and Conference Weekend

It is raining outside, and the weather seems just a little cooler. This always seems to happen on Conference Weekend. I love this weekend, and look forward to it every six months. As a my kids get older, I have tried to make it a special weekend. I have tried to make it a weekend of tradition. I want it to be full of great things for my children to remember. I wanted to share with you some of the fun things that we do:
On Saturday morning, we make "Skinny Pancakes." We always make Skinnies(crepes), but on Conference weekend in the fall they are special because we make them look like pumpkins. My kids love this for breakfast.
Here is the recipe:
1 C. flour
1/2 C. milk

1/2 C. water

1/4 C. butter

1 t. salt
1 egg
Mix all the ingredients together, and then pour 1/4 of a cup on a warm skillet. Roll the skillet around until it fills the pan, and is a skinny circle. Cook on both sides. Fill with fruit, whipped cream, and powdered sugar;or syrup and powdered sugar
.( I add orange food coloring to the batter to make them orange.)

On Sunday morning, we make my favorite Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Cider Syrup. I got the recipe from my sister-in-law, Lorinda, and angel blogger. I don't think she will mind if I share it.

Beat 2 eggs, and stir in 3/4 C. Pumpkin
2 T. Sugar
1/2 t. each ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda , salt
1 1/4t. Baking powder
1/4 C. oil
1 1/2 C. Flour( I use Whole Wheat)
Stir in 1 1/2 Cups of milk
Cook on the griddle

Syrup:
Mix in a saucepan:
1 C. sugar
2 T. Corn Starch
Add:
2 C. Apple cider or juice
2 T. Lemon Juice
Boil one minute, serve over pancakes

After breakfast, we get dressed in our Comfy clothes. We spend the whole weekend wearing something that is comfortable. It helps make the weekend relaxing for all of us.


Then we prepare for conference by talking with the kids about the activities that they can do while they listen. I usually have worksheets ready. I always explain them all before hand, and then I prepare in the most valuable way; I always have M&M's on hand.

Among the activities for the kids, I usually have a little stack of projects for myself. I try to have a few things that will not distract me. I am putting pictures in albums and pictures frames this weekend. Then I take notes of important topics.

Our last tradition... is my husbands favorite by far. Tomorrow I will make Homemade cinnamon rolls. We will enjoy these after Conference. Each family member is responsible to share their favorite talk as we savor the yummy rolls.

Preparation and Tradition help our family enjoy and get the most we can out of such and important and special weekend.

I am thankful for the blessing of Conference. I know that it is a gift. I also believe that listening to our leaders and following their counsel is as valuable to us as the scriptures. They both have great purpose and meaning.

I hope you have a wonderful Conference Weekend also.

5 comments:

Krysta said...

Those are wonderful traditions. I'm getting ready to make some chocolate chip pumpkin bread. Yummmm. You have to have a treat on a weekend like this. Thanks for the worksheets. We'll be using those tomorrow!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Andrea,
Your recipes sound so yummy! I'm going to have to try them out!!

Emily said...

Andrea, you are entirely too organized. I'm happy to get in a shower and brush my teeth. WOW. Great ideas.

Beeks by the Lake said...

Those Crepes look yummy! I used to LOVE crepes. I even have a crepe maker set. Anyone know of a wheat free recipe that might actually taste good? I love the great project you have going as well. Thanks for sharing your ideas and the traditions that your children enjoy!

Becky said...

What great traditions!! And what a great way to make conference weekend even more special. You're amazing Andrea!