Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Christmas Traditions

Christmas is such a fun time of year. I love the feeling in the air, the caroling of the bells, the hustle and bustle of people in the stores. It's a time to make memories, a time to remember, and a time for traditions.

My husband and I have been married a little over two years, so this will be our 3rd Christmas together. Thus far, we have spent Christmas with our families, but one day we will want to wake up in our own beds for Christmas morning and have our children experience being in their own home for the holidays. Combining Family traditions has been fun, and it will be interesting to see what of those traditions we will want to carry into our family. Some are to help us remember the true meaning of Christmas, some are goofy games, but all are cherished memories. We have a few traditions, it's hard to just pick one to share, so I will broaden it a little and tell you about what we eat!

* Christmas Eve we have Fish and Chips (Fish and French Fries) for dinner because that is what the Savior ate. My dad has always been a big fisherman, so we have a good fish fry! It's an easier dinner so we can get to bed earlier.

*For breakfast we have Homemade Cinnamon Rolls that I make the night before from an amazing cookbook I got from one of the Arlington, VA. Ward...here's the recipe:

Cinnamon Rolls

2 1/4 C. hot water
1/2 C. butter
3/4 C. evaporated milk
1/2 C. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. dry potato flakes
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. yeast
4 C. flour
4-5 (more) C. flour

~Combine hot water, evaporated milk, and butter. Add to the above the sugar, salt, and dry potatoes. Add one at a time and mix the (4 C.)flour, eggs, and yeast. Mix for about 4 minutes. ~Add remaining flour (4-5 C) until it pulls away from the side of the bowl. Place in bowl and allow to rise until double (about 1 hour).
~Divide dough in half (or thirds, depending on pan sizes). Roll out; spread with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture (1/2 C. sugar and 2 Tbsp. cinnamon). Roll up and cut with a string in 1 inch slices. Place in pan and allow to rise about 1 hour.
~Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes. Frost while still warm.

Buttercream Frosting

6 Tbsp butter
4 1/2- 4 3/4 C. powdered sugar
1/4 C. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

~In a small mixer bowl, beat butter till light and fluffy. Gradually add about 1/2 of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in the milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar, then additional milk, if necessary, to make frosting of spreading consistency.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

My hubby and I have been married 11 years and for the first time last Christmas we woke up in our own beds!! It was so nice to have our own Christmas!

Andrea said...

Thanks ashlee. I am excited to try the recipe. We love Cinnamon Rolls.
It is such a change when you start doing Christmas on your own, but so rewarding. You will make great traditions I know it.

Beeks by the Lake said...

what great traditions! my family always ate mexican food on Christmas Eve - my parents grew up near the border. But my husband doesn't like it, so I will have to bring up the fish and chips idea - we love fried halibut. It's so fun to have a meal tradition. I've forgotten that. Thanks for the reminder. We do waffles on Christmas morning and now that they carry wheat free mix, I can enjoy it without all the work.